Immunization Requirements

According to the Touro College and University System immunization policy and New York State public health laws there are two immunization requirements that students must meet before registering for classes. New York State public health law 2165 requires that all students born after January 1, 1957 must document immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella. New York State public health law 2167 states that colleges must inform their students about meningococcal meningitis and the vaccine that protects them against most strains of the disease that can occur on college campuses. Students must then make an informed decision as to receive the Meningitis vaccine if they have not already or officially document that they decline to receive it.

 If you are planning to enroll for classes you must submit your immunization records to the respective registrar’s office prior to registration. If you omitted to provide required immunization documentation by the first day of the semester, you will be dropped from your classes. If you wish to be reinstated you will have the opportunity to provide the required documentation until the end of the ADD/DROP period. Note that you can only be reinstated to courses that are still available at the point of re-registration.

 You can be assigned a temporary status when you have received at least one dose of live measles virus vaccine, have complied with the requirements for mumps and rubella, and have an appointment to return to a health practitioner for the second dose of measles. In addition, you need to provide proof of Meningitis vaccination or Meningitis response form. If a temporary immunization status is assigned to you, you must receive the second dose of MMR or measles no more than 90 days from the first day of the semester. Please keep in mind that you can be assigned a temporary status for one semester only.


 If you applied for the health professional programs, such as Osteopathic Medicine or Health Sciences you will be required to provide additional immunization documentation, other medical documents or exams directly to the designated department responsible for the collection of immunization records at the school you apply to.


For your convenience a printer friendly, PDF version, of both the Immunization and Meningitis Response forms are attached.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request